Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Art of Play

  


When going for my morning walks I see how branches intertwine creating intricate shapes and curves.  I find that I am drawn to the whimsy of nature and it's patterns.  And that fascination translates into my jewelry.



The other day I was observing a little girl playing with the last of the bright yellow leaves. I watched her as she collected them and realized that she was weaving them together into a necklace. She sat for a while deep in concentration as she assembled and linked each leaf together.






She reminded me that you never grow too old to "play".   I realized the opportunity to play presents itself all the time at my work bench. When I find myself lost for  creative ideas I will dig through boxes of random beads and findings and eventually will find inspiration.   I begin to "play" around with shapes and design.  I found some fine silver that I had accidentally over heated and melted.  There it just sat begging me to find a use for it.   Suddenly a ring was born.  Created by soldering the melted fine silver form to a sterling silver plate then hand sawing the edges into a unique shape.  You are likely going to see more versions of this design in the next few months.






No comments:

Post a Comment